Re: OOM in 2.2.14

From: Michael Borrelli (mike@cc237069-b.brick1.nj.home.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 15:54:36 EST

jmcmullan@linuxcare.com said this...

>Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br> wrote:
>> This is a completely separate issue, but a really neat
>> idea. However, this is not something that will be able
>> to run when the system has no more memory left ;)
>
> What not at 10% (or other specific limit) swap space
>remaining - I belive that was my original suggestion,
>and means that I CAN still run. And 100k of mlock()ed
>memory would be plenty to a) renice all other processes
>to 19 and b) send a little bit of X protocol to a currenlt running
>X server or c) chvt() to an unused VT and use a text-based
>What process do you want me to kill? dialog.

As crazy as it may sound, I think it would be better to just take a guess
(use an algorithm, and some user definable rules?) and kill it. In the
rules file, or by default, send SIGQUIT first, and if the program doesn't
leave, SIGKILL it after some predetermined wait.

I say this because 1) the server might be sitting alone in some server
farm that the owner is 90 minutes away and 2) even if the user is there,
what if the person is in a VT and it gets written to the wrong one or the
prompt gets written in X? I'm there and willing to respond, but can't.

T'is all,
-mike