Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 16:39:38 EST

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > The only problem with JFFS is that it doesn't do compression, so there's
> > a lot to be said for using cramfs if you have space constraints (and in
> > embedded devices, if you don't have space constraints you're doing
> > something wrong ;). So mixture of ramfs, cramfs and JFFS can be a good
> > thing.
>
> Thanx for pointer. I'm using initrd with ext2 on my philips velo (and
> was thinking about starting using _compressed_ ext2 on it), but cramfs
> seems like much better solution. I'd love to have some flash-rom,
> unfortunately machine has none :-(.

cramfs is _wonderful_ as long as you don't have to write. Very simple, and
very efficient.

> Anyway, is there read/write compressed driver, currently?

Not that I know of. All the read-write compressions tend to also compress
much less than something like cramfs, because the metadata requirements
for a read-write filesystem are usually a lot stricter and more
complicated.

A compressing JFFS sounds wonderful, although I suspect that even then it
might be useful to have a read-only side that compresses even better.

Compressed ext2 is horrible compression-wise. The metadata takes up
a large amount of space..

                Linus