Re: (OT) NTFS Util

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 15:56:06 EST

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> I'll send it to you. You can only use it on W2K/NT and it cannot be
> used for any purpose other than to repair a damaged NTFS volume (for
> example, you cannot use it to reverse engineer NTFS) for a licensed
> Microsoft customer. You will need to have NT4 with Service Pack 4 or
> above or the DDK installed so the right DLL's are present. W2K comes
> with the DLL's already present.

Also,

You will probably ask this question when you try to use it. The volume
name it expects is the driver letter. If your volume is drive E:, then
would enter "E" for the volume name. NT assigns drive letters to
logical partition it detects. If you volume is really trashed to the
point the boot record and mirror record are trashed, you may need to
manually assign a drive letter so NT will see the partition. Use the
"dosdev" utility to do this. You will need to locate the device context
in NT object space (a text string path to the partition). There are
several utils in the DDK that will let you look at the NT kernel symbol
space and associate a drive letter with a partition device context).
Email me if you have problems.

:-)

Jeff