Re: 2.2.16 make dep failure

From: Robert J.Dunlop (rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 10:52:33 EST

Chuck Radcliff wrote:

> i just tried to compile kernel 2.2.16 and set the make config file to
> what i believe is the right configuration. i am using mandrake 7 with
> kernel2.2.14-15mdk and all my software should be up to date. when i ran make
> dep, i got this...
>
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
> scripts/mkdep.c
> scripts/mkdep.c:23: ctype.h: No such file or directory
> what did i do or need to do? it wont let me do make zImage.

You've corrupted your 2.2.14 source tree at a guess.

Mandrake has a little kink in that /usr/src/linux is a symboloc link to
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14. When you unpacked the 2.2.16 distribution it tried
to go in /usr/src/linux and ended up overwriting parts of linux-2.2.14

I'd suggest you go to /usr/src and remove the linux symbolic link and
unpack the distribution again. If you need to go back to the 2.2.14 build
at any time you will have to restore it from the Mandrake CDs.

HTH

--
	Bob Dunlop	rjd@xyzzy.clara.co.uk