Re: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 04:40:17 EST

R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl said:
> As a "compatibility" issue, I would recommend that you include
> "compatmac.h", and that compatmac be augmented with:

> #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < 0x20400 #define OLD_MOD_INC_USE_COUNT
> MOD_INC_USE_COUNT #else #define OLD_MOD_INC_USE_COUNT /* Nothing */
> #endif

> and similarly a construct for the lock_kernel.

I don't need the lock_kernel, but I considered that approach for the use
count handling. I'll probably put it into my CVS tree but (try to) leave it
out of the patches I send to Linus.

I already have a fairly large set of additions to compatmac.h - see
mtd/compatmac.h

R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl said:
> David, did you write most of the "mtd" stuff? Including the
> "compatmac" out there? Shouldn't we merge them?

Probably. But _only_ if the merge gets into 2.2.17 too - if not then I
still need to keep my own copy, and there's no point in doing it.

--
dwmw2