Re: MANOS Source Code Released

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 12:02:21 EST

Aaron,

As far as I'm concerned Linus and Alan could run the whole thing and
take the lead for an open source NetWare clone that levrages Linus'
absolutely outstanding work, and I'll take direction from them -- but
that's their bid -- the value for Linux is the debugger in MANOS running
inside Linux. If I had it just for my internal development, development
times would be cut by a factor of 20. This project got started with
some friends of mine in Redmond who were curiously playing with the idea
of an Open Source NetWare clone that used Microsoft PE/DLL formats,
though all the code is mine. It was a "proof of concept" project with
MS in 1997/1998 I did with the some NT folks. They asked me to shelve
it in September of 1998 and port the NetWare file system to NT/W2K and
build NetWare-2-W2K progrms instead, so they lost their bid to control
this any longer. I think it more appropriately belongs in this
community. At the very least, we can canabalize the pieces of it that
make sense for Linux.

:-)

Also, a tar.gz is there now for those who mentioned this earlier.

Jeff