Re: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 08:20:09 EST

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> People _still_ don't understand.
>
> AL VIRO DID NOT REMOVE THE BKL.
>
> He MOVED it. He moved it into the "release()" function, so that we can
> pick them off one-by-one.

I know this. I've already sent you a patch to remove it again from one of
my drivers where he'd added it to be safe.

> Some of them were never needed (like the networking code that actually
> dropped it on purpose immediately), and some of them will be trivial
> to fix up.

...especially if we put the suggested check into sleep_on() to catch the
cases where we fuck it up, at least temporarily.

> But no behaviour was changed. sleep_on() is still valid, because code that
> used to have the kernel lock _still_ has the kernel lock. It's just that
> they got it themselves, instead of depending on the VFS layer to get it
> for them.

If the next step isn't to start removing the BKL from some of those
sections of code, then what's the point? And if that _is_ the next step,
then I stand by my request that a sanity check be put in sleep_on() or
better still, that sleep_on() just be removed to prevent it from being
misused.

--
dwmw2