2.3.99pre9: Could be easier...

From: ANOQ of the Sun (anoq@HardcoreProcessing.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 06:30:34 EST

Hello!

I have just subscribed here (for a short while)
to comment on the installation of the 2.3.99pre9
kernel. My reason for installing this kernel
is to try and get my 3Com Homeconnect USB
webcam to work, but my comments:

To install the kernel I had to configure
it and then issue:

make dep
make bzImage
(and make bzdisk, since I boot from floppy)
make modules
make modules_install

But this is OK and is at least documented.

But then I also had to do the following
(after a lot of FAQ reading on the internet etc.):

Make the /dev/video0 and /dev/video devices:
mknod /dev/video0 c 81 0
ln -s /dev/video0 /dev/video

Add the following to /etc/conf.modules:
path[usb]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
path[usb]=/lib/modules/`kernelversion`
path[usb]=/lib/modules

Now I manually have to execute every time I boot:
insmod videodev
(insmod usbcore complains:
  no module by that name found
  even though it's there)
insmod cpia
(insmod cpia_usb says:
   a module named cpia_usb already exists)

Why isn't all this set up automatically by
the installation process? An ordinary
hardcore developer like me shouldn't need
to know that much about software written
by other developers :)

It also seems that the webcam is not working/
not supported, but that is a minor issue -
I believe I could fix that :)

Cheers

--
http://www.HardcoreProcessing.com