Re: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

From: Arjan van de Ven (arjan@vger.rutgers.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 14:27:32 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0007160015560.2276-100000@inspiron.random> you wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:
> In my current 2.4.0-test4-pre6 tree there are:

> andrea@inspiron:~/kernel/vm > gid GFP_KERNEL | wc -l
> 1808

> In my tree there are around:

> andrea@inspiron:~/kernel/vm > gid -r '__GFP_HIGHMEM|GFP_HIGHUSER' | wc -l
> 14

By your logic, BUG() is a very important function as well and worth every
optimization it can get, as it is used more than 800 times as well.

I hope you didn't want to insult linux-kernel's intelligence by using such a
flawed logic; I assume you know that Rik had a good point (ie. on most
systems kernel memory is much less than userspace memory) and you were just
making a joke...

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven