F*ck*ng japanese garbage postings and possible HACK.

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 17:50:26 EST

This is not the first time Japanese Kanji (or whatever the hell
it is) have made it to the mailing list. I would have partially
quoted the message I am refering to, however when I TRIED to
quote it, PINE segfaulted saying "impossible or illegal character
in From line".

Since there is no way for vger to filter this japanese SPAM, does
anyone have a procmail rule which could do it? Or would
filtering out all postings from .jp do it? Are there any
japanese folk on the list with .jp addresses that make active
contributions? Just wondering because I want to permanently
filter this garbage which appears about once a week, but I don't
want to filter out legitimate postings from decent japanese folk.

I did a search of the list, and the only legit poster I could
find was "Akira YOSHIYAMA". So I know there is at least one
person here with a .jp address that is legit.

Any idea how to get procmail to grab these garbage postings, and
ONLY the garbage ones? I'm thinking a recipe looking for
addresses ending in .jp, and a subject containing any "$" chars
should do it. I wondered if anyone else has done similar or not
though.

Also, I've read about bugs in PINE and/or metamail in the past
that someone could hack your system via email headers with the
right junk thrown in. Is it possible that this last message that
was received did something like that? Could someone more in the
know about this comment on it?

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions, comments, and
hell - feel free to flame me as well if you like. I'd rather
read peoples flames every day than have japanese encoded mail
crash my mailer.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.