Re: 2.3.99pre9: Could be easier...

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 23:49:41 EST

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 01:30:34PM +0200, ANOQ of the Sun wrote:
> Add the following to /etc/conf.modules:
> path[usb]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
> path[usb]=/lib/modules/`kernelversion`
> path[usb]=/lib/modules

You should probably upgrade your version of modutils, as this isn't needed
in the latest versions.

> Now I manually have to execute every time I boot:
> insmod videodev
> (insmod usbcore complains:
> no module by that name found
> even though it's there)
> insmod cpia
> (insmod cpia_usb says:
> a module named cpia_usb already exists)
>
> Why isn't all this set up automatically by
> the installation process? An ordinary
> hardcore developer like me shouldn't need
> to know that much about software written
> by other developers :)

Every distribution does its startup a bit differently, and not many of
them yet ship with support for USB.

And this should be answered by the Linux USB HOWTO and FAQs which are
available at http://www.linux-usb.org/

If you have any other Linux USB specific questions, I suggest that you
send them to the linux usb mailing lists, which are described at that same
web page.

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com