Re: [OT] Re: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems- beware

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 02:41:17 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> Regardless of the irrelevant BUG example, I sure got Arjan's point about
> the common paths vs number of allocations in the kernel and I sure
> considered that also in my original email as far I can tell (in the line
> below the ~1000 number). I guess I wasn't clear but now I repeated more
> clearly my point, I'd appreciate any further comment about that. Thanks!

Hmm. AFAICS

* we must balance the GFP_DMA zone, otherwise an unexpected
GFP_ATOMIC|GFP_DMA allocation will fail.
* linked list walking is evil.

What about moving page_lru into the zone structure?

shrink_mmap gets a zone_t pointer as a new parameter, and
do_try_to_free_pages calls shrink_mmap for each zone that is low on free
memory.

--
	Manfred