Re: F*ck*ng japanese garbage postings and possible HACK.

From: Anton Ivanov (aivanov@eu.level3.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 07:05:07 EST

[snip]

> BTW, why 90% of SPAM on the list is in Japanese ... ?

        ARIN is notouriously bad for maintaining contact info. As a result when you
try to complain about SPAM you hit the wall. Contact addresses are invalid,
tech-handles point to nowhere. Even contacts for AS maintainers are invalid.
This is for the entire asia-pacific region or at least for every single SPAM I
got from there (I take the time to complain and including all the way to the
upstream ISP if necessary on most of the B.S. I recieve).
        As a result you never get through the first phase required by RBL and other
blacklists and no-one will waste a fortune on a "support" phone call to Japan
or China to comply with the further phases listed in RBL guidelines. As a
result SPAM in Japan, China and Korea goes on and they never get into RBL.

        So, no matter how ugly does it seem I agree that filtering based on charset
is a good idea.

And this got way OT, omho. It is more of a subject for nanog or rbl discussion
lists ;-)

[snip]

--
Anton R. Ivanov ARI2-RIPE
mailto:aivanov@sigsegv.cx

disks spinning backwards - toggle the hemisphere jumper.