Re: VIA IDE driver, v1.5 (final)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 13:42:29 EST

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> I've seen several BIOSes that detect whether an 80-wire cable is plugged in
> or not. And when the 80 wire cable is not plugged in, the IDE is slowed
> down to UDMA-33. Perhaps these settings should be read from the BIOS if no
> other way is known. I'd also say to default to UDMA-66 as most motherboard
> that ship with support for it also provide an 80-wire cable.

NO, I have the death of one disk on my wall of shame because of VIA and
mistimed. I will not have another dead disk added to a once spotless
wall. This is foolish. You do not drive 60MPH through a school zone just
because you do not see kids. There will allows be a lose soccer ball
popping into the road followed by a child. As there will be systems that
are U66 fully capable but the ribbon is not present.

Yeah, this make no sense but neither does defaulting to U66.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy