Re: Oops 0000 with ls -laR on SMBFS

From: Tom Crane (uhap023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 17:10:32 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0007132129290.27578-100000@cola.svenskatest.se>, Urban Widmark <urban@svenskatest.se> writes:
> On 13 Jul 2000, Tom Crane wrote:

Hi & Thanks for the followup.

> What is this?
> To: mail2news@checked_ok.outbound.mail2news@checked_ok.outbound.mllk
> SEP I guess, but it makes it hard to reply to the lists as well.

I have modified my mail to news script. I cannot understand where the double
'@' was coming from - the mailing list S/W?? Please let me know if the To:
header is still wrong.

>> Dear All,
>> Has anybody seen the following?; remote mounting a Win98 FS with
>> smbmount and doing ls -laR. After proceeding some way through the listing it
>> reports "I/O Error" and the session hangs. No more smbmount connections to
>> the remote machine are possible. 'df' etc. hang when it gets to attempting to
>> display that mount's info. From syslog I have,
>
> When it oopsed it held a lock and anyone trying to get that lock will
> hang. Not sure about the new mounts, but probably the same reason.
>
>> Jul 12 16:57:56 mklab kernel: SMBFS: need mount version 6
>> Jul 12 16:58:08 mklab kernel: SMBFS: need mount version 6
>
> What smbmount are you using? Does it mount anything at all?
> (it shouldn't ... :)

Version 2.0.7 - ie. the one that is included with the Samba 2.0.7 distribution.
It does appear to mount OK - ie. no error messages at mount and works OK until
the hang I described above

> Or is that from some earlier attempt at mounting with a different smbmount
> program? You should be using smbmount from samba 2.0.7.

Yes, I did have a previous version (before I checked out & installed the
smbmount from the 2.0.7 dist - I had forgotten to include its option on
./configure) but I thought that I had the 2.0.7. smbmount installed *when I did
the mounts* which caused the oops but see also my Ps. below)

[Oops & analysis cut]

>> I have seen reports of problems with oops 0002 and kernel 2.2.14 which I am
>> running but not oops 0000. Should I upgrade to 2.2.16? Is the "SMBFS: need
>> mount version 6" significant? Any other ideas?
>
> smbfs in 2.2.16 does not intentionally fix any oopses AFAIK. But it's
> probably quicker for you to test it than it is for me to figure out what
> is wrong. And replace your smbmount too (try to find out which version you
> were using).
>
> Does it happen every time? Yes, I'm asking you to intentionally oops your
> machine :) I usually umount everything I can or remount read-only, then
> sync, and then try to trigger the oops. If it doesn't testing 2.2.16
> doesn't mean much.

I tried ls -laR & find on the smbfs mounted volume and both Oops. The find
command did run to completion though, IIRC.

> Also, if you can repeat it than I could send a patch vs 2.2.14/15/16/17pre
> that adds a few printk's (first to see where the server->packet memory
> starts, second to see what happens in the
> for (i = 0; i < ff_searchcount; i++)
> loop in smb_proc_readdir_long).
>
> If you can't repeat it or don't have time to test things I'll probably put
> this report in my collection of bad smbfs things (not that the report was
> bad) and look at it later.
>
> Btw, 'ls -laR' is working fine here (don't have a win98, but vs win95).

I'm happy to have another go this week at getting the Oops. The Win98 remote
machine has had Win98 reinstalled due to other problems on it ;-) So I can't
test against that any more. There are several other Win98 machines here so I'll
have a go with one of them...

> The mount version message should be insignificant, the current version
> only passes permission modes and uids (unless you are using a smbmount or
> smbfs that is patched).

CCed: Due to possible news/mailings list problems.
Thanks
Tom.

Ps. I have just had a seconds look at my logs. The second instance of an Oops
(find on remote smb mount) was not preceeded by the "SMBFS: need mount version 6
" messages. If it is helpful I can post/mail it to you... Sorry for any
confusion!

--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.