Re: Ext2fs file sizes

From: Billy Harvey (Billy.Harvey@thrillseeker.net)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 19:19:16 EST

Mike A. Harris writes:
> Short, no ext2 has never had a 2G filesize limitation.

Mike,

On a related, but different, note:

Using a 2.4.0-test2-ac2 I created a 2G file with dd which I then
mounted via loopback. Making an ext2fs on this caused my system to
run out of memory repeatedly (and hang) until I doubled the swap,
giving 144M real plus 144M swap.

Requiring such a large amount of memory to create a filesystem seems
unnecessary. Is there a particular reason the mkfs.ext2 program has
to write everything into memory before dumping it to disk? (I'm
guessing this is not really a kernel problem/limitation).

I'm using version
"mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09".

Billy