Re: DHCP in the kernel

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 19:53:48 EST

> IP configuration, such as that, has been relegated to userland, where it
> belongs. There exists (somewhere, i am sure) a userspace dhcp client for IP
> configuration.
>
> So, yes, kernel-level IP autoconfiguration is gone forever -- but the
> alternative userspace implementation is the Right Thing.

I hope atleast bootp stays in. I wouldn't want to have to create an initrd
that has to be downloaded (slowing boot).

Another one. At work, I use a boot disk that basically just has the kernel
cat'd to the disk. No bootloader so initrd would be useless since there's
no way to get the initrd image nor anyway of getting an IP to get it.

IMO, bootp should stay in.