Re: VIA IDE driver, v1.5 (final)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 23:51:41 EST

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

> I figured that with 40 wires missing the chipset or drive wouldn't allow
> UDMA-66 anyway or that the drive would immediately stop working thus
> preventing data curruption. If this is not the case and the drive can get
> messed up then I would agree with defaulting to UDMA-33. Although I still
> think the appropiate speed should be retrievable from the BIOS if not the
> chipset itself. Another option is to allow the user to configure the
> default from make menuconfig.

No you can tell a drive to do anything that the identify reports as
capable. Thus your driver has to know if the adapter senses the cable and
if the drive acknowledges presense.

You can take a U100 drive and put it on an ATA-2 adapter and tell it to
talk at U100 add it will in one direction. Drives are defaulted to as
fast as they can go.

Water Fountain v/s Fire Hose

You can drink from both, but you had damn well only cracked the value on
the fire hose, else you will look like BB King blowing a horn.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy