Re: Japanese (or other language) postings

From: Mike Touloumtzis (miket@bluemug.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 20:17:29 EST

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 09:05:00PM +1000, Andrew van der Stock wrote:

> If you can't read the following, your mailer (MUA) is broken. End of story.

I believe others have already addressed the silliness
of arguing against a common language on an international
mailing list, so I will merely point out that, in fact,
your mailer is broken in that it sends long text/plain
lines without the "format=flowed" parameter.

RFC 2646 discusses this problem of "embarrassing line
wrap":

1. Abstract

   Interoperability problems have been observed with
   erroneous labelling of paragraph text as Text/Plain,
   and with various forms of "embarrassing line wrap." (See
   section 3.)

   Attempts to deploy new media types, such as
   Text/Enriched [RICH] and Text/HTML [HTML] have suffered
   from a lack of backwards compatibility and an often
   hostile user reaction at the receiving end.

My point is that interoperability and I18N are complex
subjects, and accusing those who desire a monolingual lkml
of "racism" should not be done without more forethought
and attention to the problem than you have apparently put
into it. You are free to start linux-kernel-babel if you
disagree :-).

miket