problem with rtl8139 linux driver?

From: Yong Gu (yg11@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 13:24:28 EST

Currently the NIC works.
Yong Gu wrote:
> I have some problem with SMC1211tx 10/100 Fast Ethernet Card on Redhat 6.2.
> It was auto-detected with rtl8139. however, it doesn't work. ...
> Then I went http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html and downloaded
> Network Driver Updates for Linux kernels 1.2.0 through
> 2.2 . Following the instruction and make it work. This time
> by issue lsmod
> I got
> rtl8139 11084 1 (autoclean)
> pci-scan 2580 1 (autoclean)(rtl8139)
> And it worked for maybe 1 or 2 hours before it died while I was downloading Staroffice
> using Netscape. netscape said "Stalls".
> while the machine shutdown the inet, I saw "either bad obj address or double free ...." I didn't get it.
> When reboot, ... it will works for a while before it hangs.
> I don't know if it's the problem with Netscape or Redhat itself.

That "bad obj address..." sounds like an ethernet driver bug.
The scyld.com site appears to be where the author of that driver works now.
His page for the driver is http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html
You should consider posting your question on the mailing list mentioned
there and/or linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu.

> Also when I first log in, I can use dmesg to get the info shown
> on screen when it boots, but after just a minute,
> what I got is "vfs: Disk change detected on device ide0(3,64)", is
> it due to my large HD (28G)? How to solve this problem?

Searching at http://google.com/linux for that message provides
several hints. Both say some program is probably accessing your
cd-rom or something like that, and the solution is to turn the program off:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/Year-1999/1999-32/0418.html
http://isisesc.supelec.fr/list-cartman/archive/February2000/0115.html

- Dan

--
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.