Re: 2.4.0-test4 and DAC960

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 23:43:25 EST

On Tue, Jul 18 2000, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> Somewhere between 2.4.0-test1 and -test4, my DAC960 RAID controller stoped
> working. As soon as the initialization for the controller starts, the
> kernel OOPSes with a null pointer dereference in the swapper.
>
> No, I couldn't capture the oops. I can tell you that it's after the driver
> has printed it's first line of introduction message and before it prints
> anything else. That seems to narrow the problem down to one of the
> initialization routines.
>
> The problem occures regardless of if the driver is compiled-in or a module,
> and happens every time I boot, when it tries to check the partition before
> mounting it.

This is a known problem. It happens because the DAC960 driver tries to use
the block queue _before_ calling blk_init_queue(). I have informed Leonard
about the problem, so he is aware of it and will fix it. I saw him at OLS
today, so it probably won't get fixed within the next couple of days ;)

--
* Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
* SuSE Labs