Re: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)

From: Ove Ewerlid (Ove.Ewerlid@syscon.uu.se)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 07:55:28 EST

Peter Svensson wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 bodnar42@bodnar42.dhs.org wrote:
>
> What it does not do is provide protection against malicious destruction of
> a disk. To destroy the disk you need root before the patch and root after
> the patch and that is it. The recent proliferation of rather complex
> exploits of holes in programs shows that even problems that are hard to
> exploit will be exploited. Using direct io to destroy the
> bios/disk/whatnot with direct io is not beyond their reach I suspect.

Think exporting _protocols_ over a network (protocols lend themselves
for this purpose :-). There are user level programs that redirect the
protocol
to access serial ports over the network. Tomorrow you may find a reason
to do the
same with the protocols that control IDE disks. The issue regarding
being
or not being root on the local machine does not exist here.

I like Andre's perfectionist approach at the protocol level.

Ove

--
Ove Ewerlid
Email: Ove.Ewerlid@[syscon|signal|material].uu.se