2.4.0-test4, kmem_cache, wrong object count in /proc/slabinfo

From: Miguel Catalina Gallego (miguel.catalina@lycos.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 08:23:50 EST

Hi,

I'm creating a cache with kmem_cache_create and then allocating some objects with kmem_cache_alloc(). When I check the object count for my cache in /proc/slabinfo I always get the maximum number of objects for the number of slabs reserved. That is: For a cache for 64 byte objects, I reserve 20 objects and get an object count of 59. If I reserve 30 objects I get the same object count. When I get to 70 objects the object count gets to 118.

I have checked mm/slab.c and apparently the inuse counter in the slab gets incremented only once in kmem_cache_alloc_tail().

Someone can tell me why is this happening? Is there any documentation on kmem_cache structures?

Thanks,

        Miguel Catalina