Re: disk-destroyer.c

From: Myrddin Emrys (myrddin@iosys.net)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 10:25:02 EST

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:44:10 -0700 (PDT) you sent this message:

>On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
>
>> No, of course not, but we also don't want to make large changes to the
>> kernel to paper over a hole that we can't cement closed. Especially now.
>
>Here is you damn steel-plate-of-armor!
        <snip>
>Damn-it here is you CEMENT!!!!!!!!!

It's cement for one hole that you know exists... what about a dozen others
you don't? There's probably two dozen documented other places where you can
fry some subsystem or another. Protecting the system against a malicious
root is an exercise in futility. No matter what you do, how you guard the
system, root can bypass it. This is by design, as you well know. That is how
Linux (and most *nix) works.

As oxy said, not now. Propose the patch after the next stable release.

Myrddin