Re: disk-destroyer.c

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 10:55:47 EST

jas88@cam.ac.uk (James Sutherland) writes:

>> So disk2brick.c will just bypass the kernel API and bit-bang on the IDE
>> controller directly...

>If a usermode app can hit the hardware directly like that, there's
>something VERY broken...

If it can not, I'll simply whip up a kernel module which I can acess
from user space, which can.

There is simply no point in hiding anything from root.

What I tried to understand in between Andre's swearwords, is that you
can enable drives to access a full set of parameters ("taskfile") or
you can disable this. If you enable it, you can fry the drive. If you
disable it, you can't but you can still use the regular ATA command
set which is all that the kernel will ever need.

The question now is: Once you disabled this, you can't enable it
again? If this is truw, then I can understand many of the strange
words that Andre used (though I still think that he was/is under deep
sleep deprivation and strong drugs). If you can reenable this access,
then there is no point.

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20