Re: The big IDE fight in a different light

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 14:05:47 EST

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 02:51:16PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

> PS: Andre, again, my apologies - looks like I've deleted the original
> posting of our blackmailer-wannabe friend, thus the reply over the
> head. Obioctl() - could somebody actually show which programs are using
> it? If none - out it should go, those who want it can do the thing from
> userland via /dev/port.

I'd guess smartd and hdparm. They can be changed to use specific HDIO
ioctls for their stuff. And, yes, I agree with that it should
either stay or go, and that checking the commands is the only wrong way.
Unfortunately /dev/port access doesn't allow the needed locking so for
more features more kernel IOCTLs will be needed. Guess that isn't that
big a problem.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs