Re: VM, cdrom problems with 2.2.17pre13

From: Adriano Nagelschmidt Rodrigues (anr@agestado.com.br)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 16:49:21 EST

Marcelo Tosatti writes:
> Maybe the machine has not really crashed, but the nasty shrink_mmap loop
> is hitting you.

Could be, it looks like a loop. Usually I'm inside X and can't even
switch to the console (or change desktops) to look at the error
messages...

By "crash" I meant that I had to press the reset button.

> Could you please try the attached patch and report results?

I compiled a new kernel (btw, I didn't `make clean', I just patched
filemap.c and did a `make zImage', I remember it used to be a no-no
with 2.0, is it ok w/ 2.2?) and tried:

$ perl -e 'while (1) { $a[$i++] = 1 }' &

When the swap was exhausted, the behaviour was:

1) Console: perl was killed with an `out of memory' message.

2) Console with X, netscape and emacs running: I still get

   VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for ...

   repeatedly.

Thanks,

--