Re: The big IDE fight in a different light

From: David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 17:39:21 EST

Mike Castle wrote:

> If Andre hadn't posted the code, someone eventually would had. It's not
> unfortunate he did that at all; but rather quite fortunate that he did.
> Because now it brings it out to the public. Do you really think he was the
> first one to notice this?

Numerous sci type tv shows have used a phrase similar to: "Things have a way
of being discovered when it's their time."

When it's time for people's knowledge and beliefs to evolve, a 'discovery' can
pop up several times around the world without collaboration.

That said however, it's also wise to quietly incorporate the patch and let it
get spread into the wild before raising a ruckus about it. Now we have a big
blathering thread about it, archived in thousands of places around the web for
all history and we don't yet have a patched kernel.

When the most recent kernel root level compromise bug hit, it was kept quiet
for almost a month so distros could be updated and it could start spreading.
Once all the sub-structure was updated, the announcement was made. Everyone
was ready for the clamor and slam on ftp servers and more people were
immediately protected.

As it stands now, we're all baring our weakspots and advertising it before the
patch is made. Let's stop and think about it in -this- light for a moment.

-d

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was