Re: I QUIT (Re: IDE drive killer question)

From: Enrico Demarin (mccoy@smc.it)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 15:34:55 EST

Well if you mean that a program that gets crazy and randomly
and by mistake can destroy the HD, then you are right, we need this patch.
But i doubt it will ever protect the drive from someone doing it
intentionally, either by writing a kernel module or putting a new kernel
or whatever.

Thats how I see it, if the point is to be compliant with the standard and
avoid the possibility of a random disaster then you are right in my
opinion. From the security point of view, i think that the problem is in
the drive itself that shouldnt allow destructive operations ( or give an
hardware way to disable them, a jumper on the drive for example).

- enrico