Re: The Full Explaination ... (re: disk-destroyer.c)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 13:50:13 EST

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Myrddin Emrys wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 22:29:20 -0700 (PDT) you sent this message:

> As someone else pointed out, now is not the time to be adding changes like
> this (just before a stable release). Offer the patch after the next stable

So you would have rather had me add this code while it was being created
three months ago and not be sure that it would not destroy hardware in the
testing process?

I get hardware for testing for free......If I toast hardware I get another.

> kernel, when less urgent changes are easier to get in. Remember that you're
> not patching a gaping hole... you're blocking one of a hundred ways that
> root can fry hardware. There are many other ways still to go, so having 99
> ways to fry the system, instead of 100, is not that big of a fix. Eventually
> we may get down to 0, but until we get close to that ideal, each cemented
> hole is a minor change not urgent enough to risk destabilizing an even
> release.

So sending out a release with an exposed exploit to the hardware is
preferred.

Which subsystem do you maintain?

I want to avoid using it or fix it first........sheesh...

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy