Re: The big IDE fight in a different light

From: Stuart MacDonald (stuartm@connecttech.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 12:15:24 EST

From: "Scott Long" <scott@swiftview.com>
> there. Make your decisions based on what the USERS will say, not on
> technicalities. It's your ass on the line. We can always go back to
> Microsoft if we want.

That argument might work if there was an economic stake involved.
For the *volunteers* who have developed Linux over the years there is
not. I'm sure they like their users to be happy, but they'd rather have
the best technical solution instead of happy users I suspect. Especially
if the user doesn't contribute to the development themself.

> And so in conclusion, I, a "mere user," want this safeguard in the
> kernel. If it's not there, I won't use the system. Period. BeOS is nice
> too. A simple API, good threading, good SMP. Just what I need.

I'll be you a cookie that BeOS and MS's OSes and every OS has *some*
way to fry your hard drive if you have "root" access to the box.

..Stu, ...sometimes serial hacker...