Re: CML2 0.7.1 is available

From: esr@thyrsus.com
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 07:26:56 EST

Randy Dunlap <randy.dunlap@intel.com>:
> 1. I updated kernel-rules and kernel-menus to reflect some recent
> USB changes and to add '(EXPL)' on Experimental options.
> I think that it's important that this be obvious to people
> who are configuring a kernel. [Changing 'EXPL' to some other
> string is OK.]

You found a rulebase bug. The `warndepend EXPERIMENTAL' in the rulebase
file was supposed to ensure that symbols dependent on EXPERIMENTAL got
(EXPERIMENTAL) appended to their prompts. But there were a bunch of
places I wrote "unless EXPERIMENTAL suppress..." where I should have
written "unless EXPERIMENTAL suppress dependent...".

The upshot is your EXPLs are gone but those symbol prompts should now
have (EXPERIMENTAL) appended.

> 2. Running cmlcompile with syntax errors in kernel-rules.cml or
> kernel-menus.cml prints line numbers for lines with errors,
> but the line numbers are incorrect.

If you're seeing anything but off-by-ones relating to syntax errors
at end of line, tell me. The off-by-ones are a known bug which I
would have to tremendously complicate the lexer to fix.

> 3. There's a forward-reference problem with some symbols, right?
> Do you have plans to fix this? How?
> (I have some of these '#'-commented in my patch file.)

I don't know of any forward-reference problems in the 0.7.2 rulebase.
I see that you commented some stuff out. I'll try uncommenting it and see
if I get any forward errors.

> 4. USB_BLUETOOTH is a trit. All other options show up (curses mode)
> as USB_XXX? toward the right margin, but USB_BLUETOOTH shows up
> without the trailing '?'. I couldn't figure out why it's like this?
> Can you?

Oh! The trailing ? doesn't mean it's a trit. It means help is available.
Evidently you have no help entry for BLUETOOTH.

> 5. You said that you expect the curses interface to be the most-used
> one and I agree with you. The tkinter interface, in its present
> form, is very klunky (a highly technical term, of course).
> I can go into details and examples if needed.

Please. I went to some lengths to try to make it nice; if I failed, I'd
like to know why.

--

"You have taught us much. Come with us and join the movement." "This movement of yours, does it have slogans?" inquired the Chink. "Right on!" they cried. And they quoted him some. "Your movement, does it have a flag?" asked the Chink. "You bet!" and they described their emblem. "And does your movement have leaders?" "Great leaders." "Then shove it up your butts," said the Chink. "I have taught you nothing."

-- Tom Robbins, "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues"