Re: The big IDE fight in a different light

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 08:20:37 EST

andre@linux-ide.org (Andre Hedrick) writes:

>The only safe thing to do in 2.2 and 2.0 is to disable it or use 2.4 plus
>the patch. Since most do not want the patch and put there heads in the
>sand and their butts in the air and I am trying not to kick them to hard.

You're wrong here. I would assume that most people if not all will
gladly accept your patch once you stop insulting and crying around
that you "fixed a mortal hole", calm down and _explain_ without any
swearwords the problem and the solution.

The fact that you consider yourself as the first and most important
thing that happened to Linux since Linus Torvalds put out 0.01 and
that you as a "voting member of T13" (what ever that is), seem to
consider yourself as the self-appointed final authority concening ATA
and IDE drives does not mean that everyone else must back down
immediately and eat all the shit that you fling at people once you
decide to step down from your mountain and present new rules to the
people. Should we all call you "Moses" from this day on and you will
rule us with fire and sword under you new IDE-ATA rules? I know, that
in your opinion, ATA-IDE rules but not that much as you think. :-)

Oh, I forgot, you're "THE LINUX IDE/ATA GUY". No, I don't question
your competence. Just your attitude. This even annoyed me back when
you were still maintaining the APC USV stuff. Just because not
everyone comes running to work with and support Andre' does not mean,
that they're out there to hinder and to insult you. Maybe they just
don't care. You're _not_ important enough to them.

Please calm down, explain in understandable terms (and not "I am a
voting member of T13. I know. You don't.") and you will suddently find
out that the flamewar vanishes, and everyone _really_ listens to
you. And will gladly accept your patch. Rough concensus and running
code works. It always did, it always will.

But if you crank out mails to a worldwide mailing list at light speed
and get angry just because you don't get answers within the hour,
maybe consider, that people out there are just _sleeping_, _working_
or having any other kind of life besides Linux. It doesn't help you
putting out a patch ("life-saving, low-level security issue") and then
start to complain five minutes later just because not everybody was
able to read, understand and act within this time.

And don't go around telling everyone that you found the solution to
every hardware flaw in existence just because you found a spec
violation which is exploitable in Linux.

And get some sleep. Lots of sleep.

        Later
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20