Re: Butting in.. (Was: scsi-destroyer.c to come...)

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 11:26:10 EST

In <20000722092648.A2461@foo.birdnet.se> Peter Stuge (stuge@cdy.org) wrote:
> Hi all!

> With this mail I'm going to try to accomplish a good thing(tm) - hopefully
> I'll succeed. :)

> In this mainly-IDE-thread there have been at least two facts stated (or
> discussed) and I've got some comments on them. (Woohoo!)

> 1. It is possible to write software that will damage hardware.

[Explanation how wrong firmware uploading process can screw you hardware skipped]

This is all right. But you can SIGN firmware blob and hardware will just
refuse to accept update with bad sign. How much it cost ? I have SmartCard
from Oberthur here where such protection is implemented. This card cost less
then 3$. Complete with CPU, memory, built-in DES (used for signature checking
in TripleDES mode) and so on. Since IDE/ATAPI drive (or you modem) ALREADY have
CPU, memory it'll add perhaps few CENTS to cost and will give you almost 100%
protection. Do we really need to tolerate hardware with ability to destroy it
with few simple commands just to save few CENTS per computer ?