Re: courtesy (was Re: scsi-destroyer.c to come...)

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 13:42:48 EST

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

>> And get a replay of the existing thread only with s/IDE/SCSI/g?
>> No, I think I'd rather see it just come out all at once. In
>> fact, posting the exploit a week ahead of time on BUGTRAQ might
>> be the approach I would take if I were the one in the know...
>
>It's just plain courtesy. You get the fix out before you get the
>exploit out. If you do it the other way around, the users suffer. I
>read BUGTRAQ too, and people complain mightily when an exploit is posted
>before an attempt at a fix has been made.
>
>Doesn't matter now. I don't even know why I bothered trying to convince
>MR. CAPS LOCK of this.

Jeff, you misunderstand me. I *DO* agree with you. I *DO*
believe that it is a courtesy to get the fix out first. When
nobody WANTS the fix however and there are CLOSED EYES AND EARS,
though, then the courtesy goes like this:

1) Kind sir, I noticed a flaw here.

2) Up yours! No flaw exists.

1) But sir, you don't understand. There is one, and I want to
try and help fix it.

2) No, you are wrong jerk. Go away.

1) Fine! I don't care then. You aren't going to listen
obviously regardless of how hard I try to explain, so I must now
show the flaw to the world NOW instead of LATER which is how I
planned on doing it.

2) What?? You can't do that! You should have given me time to
prepare! That is not courteous.

1) HUH????? What do you call step #1 way above...

So, sorry if you misunderstand me, but really, we agree. Perhaps
we disagree on the events that have occured up til now though and
what they mean..

Please call me "Mike" Jeff. No need to resort to pseudo name
attack.. Mike is fine.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.