Re: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 20:04:08 EST

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Bryan -TheBS- Smith wrote:

>> P.S. I don't really trust winnt or win2k for security either
>> but at least they have some security features.
>
>Just wanted to add $0.02 here ...
>
>Even putting aside any issues with NT/2000 itself, because 98% of
>the world's Windows software, let alone the development tools, are
>quite ignorant of NT/2000 permissions and security model and
>assume MS-DOS 7.x is underneath (like Window 9x), it doesn't really
>matter how "good" or "bad" NT/2000 is.

You bring up a very good point here as well. I'd like to add to
it that this will mirror itself into the Linux environment as
well. Lets say tomorrow everyone woke up with Linux on their
computers - having replaced windows overnight magically, and that
all of their windows knowledge was transplanted into equivalent
Linux knowledge.

The EXACT SAME stupid things, and insecurities would occur. Joe
blow running netscape as root and getting a buffer overflow, or
ILOVEUNIX virus, or similar. No different really. Things would
be slightly better, but the USER is the problem here, not the
OS. Linux would likely prevent more things from occuring than
does NT or W2K, but it cant stop a dumb user or careless user.

>Sorry for the interruption, but it's just a point that needs to be
>made for the UNIX-ignorant (not really anyone on this list
>though) from a former NT-advocate (1992-1999, who got fed up with
>Microsoft's lack of vision and caring for security, let alone a
>_real_ multi-user OS).

heheh. Well, its good to see World Domination 101 having an
effect. Completes the control-feedback loop. ;o)

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.