Re: MASQ not resetting.

From: Thorsten Kranzkowski (th@Marvin.DL8BCU.ampr.org)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 10:12:43 EST

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 03:51:33PM +0200, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> It seems as if the masq table entry has an IP address entry. Shouldn't
> this be a reference to "the IP addr of that interface"? Thus when the
> interface goes down and comes back up, the new addr is used?

According to the NAT HOWTO (see www.samba.org/netfilter) a _masqueraded_
connection's table entry will be dropped when the interface goes down.

I assume you use an ISDN dialup (you mention the IP-up script). The problem
is (I think) that the interface (ippp0) is _NOT_ going down. Only the ISDN
link is, but interface, routing (and NAT entries) are kept 'up' so dynamic
dialling can work. Of course old NAT entries are useless with a new
connection.

Probably a solution is to insert 'ifconfig ippp0 down; ifconfig ippp0 up'
along with a possible 'route -add ...' into your IP-down script.

> (it is wrong to take the masq entry down with the interface: Then
> people with fixed-ip will see their masqed connections go down, over a
> power-cycle of their modem)

People with fixed ip-address should use SNAT not MASQUERADE. SNATed entries
aren't dropped.

Bye,
Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski        Internet: dl8bcu@gmx.net                        |
| Mobile: ++49 170 1876134       Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |