Re: The big IDE fight in a different light

From: Adam Sampson (azz@gnu.org)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 17:33:42 EST

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 02:55:59PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> It is possible in every OS on every PC class machine with disks made since
> about 1993.

Make than "every machine with IDE". Other architectures can send raw IDE
commands as well...

> On any modern PC you can erase all the disk firmware and the bios firmware
> (the latter being done by the windows chernobyl virus).

However, most BIOSs have a recovery mode that'll let you replace the
firmware (on my system, you can set a jumper, enabling an emergency bit of
ROM that has just enough BIOS services to let you boot off a floppy and run
the BIOS flash utility). Other hardware tends to have the flash utility
stored within the flash itself (d'oh).

--

Adam Sampson azz@gnu.org