Re: What's wrong with IDE patch and what proper solution should be...

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 14:39:39 EST

>Hmm.. Well, if the feature is not something common, then it
>wouldn't qualify to get put in I suppose. Common features
>between many devices should have a common API though.

Good. You're now describing (to the best of my knowledge) the current
situation. In the case of SCSI, we have the SCSI drivers for each SCSI
controller, which use an additional layer of SCSI code, plus the
generic SCSI driver. This last one handles features that "don't
qualify" for a common API. 'nuff said ?

Oh, did I mention that you can probably destroy some SCSI devices with
sg ?

--p