Re: What's wrong with IDE patch and what proper solution shouldbe...

From: Douglas Gilbert (dougg@torque.net)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 00:04:53 EST

Andre Hedrick wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
>
> > Ssshhhhh. I was enjoying the pyrotechnics and didn't
> > really want to get involved ;-)
> >
> > Doug Gilbert
> > sg maintainer
>
> Hey Doug
>
> You are not a default compile option are you? Regardless, you were
> specifically designed to throw the kitchen sink and the hardware, and that
> is cool. This is clear and nobody has done in their /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sga2 / ext2 defaults 1 1
> /dev/sdg1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
> /dev/sdg5 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
>
> Can this be done?

No. The SCSI generic driver (sg) is a character
device and thus cannot be mounted. Sg also has
no concept of partitions. Its unit of addressing
is a device and its transactions are in terms of
SCSI commands. No censorship other than requiring
read and write permissions on a device. For example
my disk has default (sensible) permissions:
$ cd /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/
$ ls -l disc generic
brw------- 1 root root 8, 0 Dec 31 1969 disc
crw------- 1 root root 21, 0 Dec 31 1969 generic

Those device filenames aren't really that old.

Doug Gilbert