Re: Does this help explain better?? ATA/IDE Thread

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 10:42:01 EST

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> For example our server do not have floppy drive at all. It does not have
> kerboard or attached monitor as well.

How do you handle situations where you need to take it down to single-user
mode, no network?

> And it's quite possible that vendor's image will be unable to cope
> with our Ethernet cards with 17,20 & 21 IRQ and will be unable to find
> IDE with 22 IRQ so any drive attached to that IDE will be out of reach
> for update program...

Can't Linux find your IDE adapter??

> > That way, they can't blame it on your anti-virus daemon, your NIC,
> > the kernel version you're running, etc.
>
> Without my NIC I'll be unable to do ANYTHING with my system, sorry.

You're pretty much stuffed when your NIC firmware upgrade fails, then. You
have bigger problems than not getting a nice point&drool interface for
low-level hardware modifications.

James.