Re: Capabilities..

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 11:37:50 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.21.0007251109190.30742-100000@asdf.capslock.lan> Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca) wrote:
> How does one exercise the CAP_SYSPCAP capability? In other
> words, if root starts up with all capabilities as defined in the
> cap-bound set, how does root pass a capability to another PID?

With capset(2) obviously...

> Is there a userland utility that root can run to give other PID's
> other capabilities?

I do not remember name but I saw such utility somewhere...

> Or am I misunderstanding the purpose of this CAP? If I'm understanding it
> correctly, why then are system daemons that require root privs, not instead
> getting only the required CAP's passed to them somehow?

Since this is big and complex task to transfer all userland from "root is god"
model to capabilities model perhaps ? Plus most daemons are not written
for Linux and thus do not support such scheme natively.

> Any help in understanding this, and finding existing utils would
> be greatly appreciated.

We do not have "Trusted Linux" (where UID 0 is just UID 0 and does not have
special power) yet, not even close. I know of no distrubution where such
work (reduce capabilities for only needed ones on daemon startup) is even
started.