Re: BUG REPORT : IPX (Novell) uppercase convert error with

From: Petr Vandrovec (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 13:49:35 EST

> > No. You did not do 'ls -l'... Of course that filenames are lowercased -
> > - it is intentional. But your bash listing does not show whether Linux
> > thinks that files are files or that they are directories...
>
> The screenshots with 'ls -l" are attached. If phrase "No such file or
> directory" in bash-2.4.0-lower-ls-l.gif (this is kernel with lowercasing) for
> the files and directories that really exists and detected by other kernels (look
> other screenshots) is not a bug, then I am rosy elephant.

Yes, it is bug. But it is not bug in ncpfs, but on your server. You can
workaround this by couple of ways:

(1) disable 'Lowercase DOS filenames'
(2) do not use OS/2 namespace (use NFS namespace instead)
(3) fix your server's LCONFIG.SYS to contain CP866 and not CP437 uppercase
    table

Any one of choices above fixes your problem - second and third forever,
first one as long as your app does not do upper/lowercasing - i.e.
you will not be able to run Wine on such filesystem in native mode, for
example...

> Please, listen to my user's voice. From my point of view, normal work means
> ACCESSIBILITY to ALL files and directories on the server without dependance of
> it's peculiarities. It have no doubt, upper or lower letters presents on hte
> screen (its only cosmetic feature). It's no doubt if latin letters lowercased
> correctly but russian letters stays uppercased. BUT! If I can acces to them and
> my comp doesn't hang - it's normal work for user, even if lowercasing of russian
> letters ig wrong.

For my system, which is correctly configured for CP852, it is high benefit
that lowercasing works as expected. You can disable it in kernel config
to work around your broken server.

> When one kernel (2.2.13) provides it without any problem,
> does not require to change tons of thousands files on server for correct
> namespacing, and provide access to them "as they are" - this is good and
> workable kernel. When other kernel does not do it at all (2.2.16) - it is fully
> unworkable and unusable kernel for my IPX tasks. When the 3-rd kernel
> (2.4.0) provide the access in one configuration and doesn't provide in another
> - I say that it is partially workable kernel, and this is the bug from my
> user's point of view.

Hell you are stupid, are not you? Fix your server. Should ncpfs try to
create ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ file and then try to open
abcdefg... to verify that you correctly configured server? What if you do
not have write access to server? Simple disable lowercasing option or OS/2
namespace support if your server does not support them correctly. Or get
call with Novell - can you open such files in Volkov Commander? I do not
think so...

> Because I cat'n work with files and directories on server.
> Maybe it's wrong from programmer's point of view, but it's real life - nobody
> will correct millions files on server because of new kernel can't provide
> access to them.

You have misconfigured server. Client can workaround about this stupidity
if you do not enable lowercasing filenames. But client cannot provide
lowercasing if your server then does not understand lowercased filenames.
No way around. So disable lowercasing and you are in... (if you worked
with 2.2.13 which did not lowercased russian letters (this is BUG), you
cannot have scripts which depend on lowercase letters, so disable lowercasing
until you fix your server)

If you really want, I can add text to help for lowercasing config option
that it does not work reliably on misconfigured servers. But I believe that
less than 1% of installed Netware server base has this problem as it causes
unbelievable headaches for Win95 environment too (especially in mixed
Win95/DOS environment, as short name generated by server can (and will)
contain characters which are not allowed by your local codepage).

                                   Petr Vandrovec
                                   vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

P.S.: Best solution is remove OS/2 and DOS namespace support from ncpfs
at all - only use NFS - then everything will work correctly and I can
then easily integrated patches I received for supporting full UNIX
semantic (devices, filemodes) on ncpfs, so you can build your root
filesystem on ncpfs (well, you must use initrd to run ncpmount) then...