Re: synthetic parallel processing

From: Borislav Deianov (borislav@ensim.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 15:56:40 EST

In article <5B4C5173F709D3119EFE00105A9CB8645C735A@exchange1.sensable.com> you wrote:
> Is there a way to fool the kernel into replicating SMP on a single processor
> machine, ie having the scheduler keep two queues and alternate them?
> Aaron

Sounds like you can use a fair scheduler. Here is my standard blurb:

Fairsched is a hierarchical fair CPU scheduler. Processes are divided
into groups and each group receives guaranteed CPU time allocation
proportional to its weight. The standard scheduler is used to schedule
processes within a group. It can be used to divide CPU time fairly
among users or for more flexible CPU time allocation on busy compute
servers. Kernel patch, documentation and a testing utility can be
found at:

http://fairsched.sourceforge.net/

Rik van Riel also has also written one. His is less flexible but
significantly simpler, get it from:

http://www.surriel.com/patches/

HTH,
Borislav