Re: Possible Solution for ATA Mess...

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 08:23:33 EST

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>> Push the $0.06 cents per drive on to the consumer. Shit, crank
>
><Sheep mode>
>Brand X is a bit cheaper ($0.06 + channel markup) and has less settings
>for me to mess up and can be 'upgraded' without opening the case.
></sheep mode>
>
>Bahhhh.

Well, that could be the case in some scenarios but I think it is
more the industry doing it because they know that people aren't
causing a stir about it. Most likely, they are charging more
money for the drive anyway regardless of the jumper existence or
not, and then making the 45B for it anyways without including
it. Joe "sheep" just buys whatever, and they get away with it.

If joe sheep started demanding it though, the cost of the jumper
would get eaten pretty quick I think.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.