A simple question about readw, readw and the like

From: Francois Wautier (fw@fwconsult.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 02:57:48 EST

Hi,

I was looking into some of the Linux device drivers ( a new thing for me), and I
found out that many (all?) were using calls to "readw", "readl".... and the
like.

I did some tests using a PCI board with a PLX9050 bridge and I quickly succeeded
in accessing the bridge directly by defining a "plx9050" structure, using the
address returned by "ioremap" as a pointer to such a structure and reading and
writing the registers with e.g. plx_ptr->local_address_base_0

So what are the advantages/problems associated with using readw, writel and the
like? Is this a way to get compatibility across various platforms?

Which access method is best?

Any info, pointer will be appreciated
TIA
        François