Block Layer File/FS Replication?

From: Jeff McNeil (jmcneil@interland.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 06:05:04 EST

Howdy folks,

I'm trying to impliment file system replication at the block level. So
far, from what I can see, Coda is my only way of going. While Intermezzo
looks to do exactly what I want, it is not mature enough yet.

I've been thinking about in the interim, writing a quick block level
replication module. But I'll be damned if I can decide on the best way
of doing so.

I've been tossing around the following Idea.

1. Make every block update availabile via a pseudo-device, /dev/rep0 -
n. Each minor in this case could represent an individual
(configurable) file system.

2. Add an additional system call, which would update FS blocks based on
a parameter, which would contain the block data, inode, and an offset.
Proc file to start/stop replication.

3. Lastly, write a user space network aware daemon to read from the
pseudo-device, and transfer block information to a (multiple) servers
running listeners.

Granted, FS and block size would have to be the same on both ends, but
that's trivial. I've also tossed around the idea of using raid 1over a
network block device, but I see visions of caching issues with that one
already.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff