Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 08:51:54 EST

On 27 Jul 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

This is wonderful advice below Linus. I think that this would
solve a great many problems for many people. I have on more than
one occasion left devel source under /usr/src/linux, and compiled
something to have it fail. I was under the assumption from the
kernel docs that the kernel HAD to be compiled in there. I very
much like the idea of what you describe below however as it
solves NUMEROUS problems indeed. This information should be put
in the top level README file, and emphasis put on the 'dont
compile in /usr/local' part, because it would sure save people a
lot of headaches IMHO.

Thanks very much for clarifying this for all.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.