Re: CONFIG_MODVERSIONS problem identified

From: Andreas Schwab (schwab@suse.de)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 10:39:28 EST

Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se> writes:

|> I wrote:
|>
|> >Possible solutions:
|> >C. Change the Linux kernel to work around this problem. We either:
|> > C1. forcibly remake modversions.h in each subdir's `fastdep', or
|> > C2. don't create modversions.h at all in the subdirs, but only
|> > once in the toplevel Makefile after doing dep-files.
|> >
|> >I'll do a patch to implement solution C1, unless someone has
|> >a much better idea.
|>
|> I had a couple of requests to go with C2 instead of C1, since
|> it has less overhead and works better with parallel makes.

Note that your patch definitely does *not* work with parallel makes.

|> --- linux-2.4.0-test5-pre6/Makefile.~1~ Thu Jul 27 13:15:00 2000
|> +++ linux-2.4.0-test5-pre6/Makefile Thu Jul 27 13:44:47 2000
|> @@ -442,10 +442,11 @@
|> MODVERFILE := $(TOPDIR)/include/linux/modversions.h
|> else
|> MODVERFILE :=
|> +update-modverfile:
|> endif
|> export MODVERFILE
|>
|> -depend dep: dep-files $(MODVERFILE)
|> +depend dep: dep-files update-modverfile

update-modverfile does not depend on dep-files, thus they will be built in
parallel, and update-modverfile will likely read old .ver files.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab                                  "And now for something
SuSE Labs                                        completely different."