Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 10:59:53 EST

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> What I mean is that the above generation-script should be generated
> _once_. The source gets distributed with the generated file, so that
> whatever happens you at least get reliable results in a reasonably
> heterogenous environment.

Put another way that maybe is a clearer example:

 - when I download the binary rpm of package "foo-2.3.5.rpm", should I
   really have to care on what machine it was compiled?

A lot of old-time UNIX people seem to think that everybody compiles
sources themselves. That's madness. Yes, it's important that you _can_.
But you shouldn't have to. If I hear that the new feature 2.3.5 of package
"foo" supports the new filesystem layout that I've been waiting for,
should I have to pray that the person who compiled the binary happened to
use one of the development kernels where that feature was actually
implemented?

Or should I have to recompile it myself to make sure?

Or, wonder of wonders, should it just WORK?

I think the latter. And I hope I've made clear to everybody why a software
package must NOT EVER depend on what kernel version happened to be
installed when it was compiled. And why it is so _important_ that nobody
even by mistake does this. EVER.

The defense rests.

                Linus